September 11, 2017
How are you preparing for Car Free Day?
Mark your calendars! Friday, September 22 is Car Free Day. Celebrated around the world, this is a free event in which people are encouraged to get around town without driving alone in cars. The entire community is invited to take different modes of transportation such as train, metro, bus, carpool, or bike. Or, maybe cut the commute completely and telework. The goal is to reduce traffic congestion, create a greener environment, reduce the demand for gasoline, and help people save money and reduce stress! Over 1,500 cities in 40 countries will participate in Car Free Day 2017.
We know going car free for a day takes a bit of preparation, but it’s a lot easier than you may think. Here are some easy steps you can take to help leave the car keys at home:
- Go by bike. Riding your bike doesn’t have to be just a weekend activity. Consider biking to work and get your exercise in. Don’t have a bike? Purchase a pass and hop on a bike from Capital Bikeshare.
- Take the Metro. With the SafeTrack program complete, Metro is now safer, cleaner, and more reliable. Use the new and improved Trip Planner to map out your next trip.
- Organize a carpool for your kids. Talk with your neighbors and offer to alternate carpool drop off days to lessen the number of cars on the way to school.
- Many employers are making it easier than ever for employees to work from home. Ask your employer if you can telework on Car Free Day.
- See more ways you can be car free on September 22.
It’s easy to participate! All you have to do is fill out the pledge form and then go car free or car lite on September 22. That’s it! And, did we mention there will be prizes? Once you’ve pledged, you will be automatically entered for a chance to win awesome prizes like a Capital Bikeshare annual membership and a Kindle Fire. Already a car free pro? Don’t worry you can still take the pledge and enter for a chance to win a prize.
In addition, Car Free Day Metro DC is partnering with Chipotle for a buy one, get one free promotion. Simply take the pledge and show your email confirmation at a Chipotle in DC, Maryland, or Virginia on Friday, September 22 to take advantage of the promotion. A greener footprint and free Chipotle; what could be better than that?
For more information on Car Free Day, please visit www.carfreemetrodc.org.