December 22, 2017
Get Downtown Faster on the NEW 59 Limited Bus
Do you ride the Metrobus to the Central Business District (Downtown DC)? Well, you might want to hold on to your seats! There’s a new bus route coming that will get you downtown faster than ever before.
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) announced that between Sunday, December 17, 2018 and Monday, January 8, 2018 service changes will be implemented on 12 Metrobus routes in Washington, DC to improve service frequency and on-time performance.
New 59 Limited Stop Route from Takoma Metro to Federal Triangle Metro
Starting Monday, January 8, 2018, a new MetroExtra limited-stop route, Route 59, will be added along 14th Street NW providing faster service between Takoma and the Federal Triangle corridor. This new route will operate buses approximately every 15 minutes during the morning and evening weekday rush hours from 6:30 to 9:30am and 3:45 to 7pm. Buses will stop every 10 to 12 blocks on average. Due to its less frequent stops, the route will allow commuters along the priority corridor of 14th Street NW to get to downtown DC faster using buses and further improve transit-accessibility in the District. It also provides additional capacity to relieve crowding on routes 52, 53, and 54.
Route 59 would serve the following stops only:
- 10th Street & Pennsylvania Avenue NW
- 12th Street & Constitution Avenue NW (Federal Triangle Metrorail Station)
- F Street & 13th Street NW
- 14th Street & I Street NW (McPherson Square Metrorail Station)
- 14th Street & K Street NW
- 14th Street & P Street NW
- 14th Street & U Street NW
- 14th Street & Chapin/Belmont Streets NW
- 14th Street & Irving Street NW (Columbia Heights Metrorail Station)
- 14th Street & Park Road NW
- 14th Street & Spring Road NW
- 14th Street & Upshur Street NW
- 14th Street & Buchanan Street NW
- 14th Street & Colorado Avenue NW
- 14th Street & Missouri Avenue NW
- 14th Street & Fort Stevens Drive NW
- 14th Street & Aspen Street NW
- Georgia Avenue & Butternut Street NW
- Takoma Metrorail Station
For more information, download the new service brochure.
Other service changes will be implemented on 35 Metrobus routes around the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia. See all the routes affected here. If the 59 14th Street Limited will not affect your travel behavior, check out the ten bus lines around Washington, DC that every commuter should know how to ride.
Still unsure of your commute? Contact info@goDCgo.com and challenge us with your commute! We’ll work with you one-on-one to map out your most time-effective and sustainable route!