March 6, 2015
Commuter Benefits Ordinance 101
by Korrea Johnston
Do you know about Washington, DC’s new commuter benefits ordinance? goDCgo is here to provide you with all you need to know below.
Starting January 1, 2016, organizations with 20 or more employees will be required to offer access to commuter transit benefits. As an employer, you can choose to provide at least one of the following:
- Employee-Paid, Pre-Tax Benefit
- Allow employees to use an IRS-approved, pre-tax payroll deduction for transit fares (up to $265/month as of Jan 2019).
- Employer-Paid, Direct Benefit
- Subsidize employee transit fares by offering an employer-paid direct benefit (up to $265/month as of Jan 2019).
- Employer-Provided Transportation
- Provide complimentary shuttle or vanpool service for employees.
This will allow thousands of people who work in the District of Columbia to use pre-tax funds for sustainable transportation options like Metro, bus, and vanpool fares.
Everyone saves with commuter benefits.
- Watch the savings pile up on payroll taxes for every pre-tax or direct dollar spent on employee transit fares.
- See employee satisfaction rise as more of their paychecks go into their pockets, with commute funds loaded directly onto their SmarTrip® cards each month.
- Take pride in doing your part to reduce traffic and pollution by making it easy for employees to choose alternative transportation.
Beyond offering transit benefits, there is much your organization can do to encourage sustainable and cost-effective commuting. From offering corporate Capital Bikeshare memberships to improving telework policies, goDCgo’s Employer Services team will work with you every step of the way to make offering commuter benefits easier than ever.
Contact us today to take advantage of a complimentary one-on-one consultation, and get started with the commuter benefits plan that fits your organization best.
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call us: 202-299-2186
Stay tuned for step-by-step directions for implementing each of the three options in the coming weeks! Sign up for our employer newsletter to stay informed.