April 24, 2018
Are You Ready for Bike to Work Day 2018?
by Korrea Johnston
On Friday, May 18, 2018, the DC region will host its 20th annual Bike to Work Day to celebrate bicycling – a fun, healthy, and affordable way to get around! There will be over 100 pit stops along heavily used bike commuter routes to offer bicyclists a chance to stop for refreshments, giveaways, and bicycling information.
The first 20,000 registered attendees will receive a free t-shirt and the opportunity to enter a raffle to win bicycles and other great prizes. Bicyclists must register with their pit stop location to be eligible for the free t-shirt and prize raffle.
goDCgo will be hosting the Anacostia pit stop from 7 am to 9 am at 13th Street & Good Hope Rd SE, across the street from the Anacostia Arts Center.
If you’re an employer, encourage your employees to participate by registering at a pit stop near their home, workplace, or both.
Additionally, your organization can participate by making sure they’re ready for Bike to Work Day. Here are six easy steps to get started:
- Encourage employees and visitors to bike: share the individual and organizational benefits of biking.
- Improve your building’s infrastructure: provide bike parking or storage.
- Offer social and financial incentives: host group rides or special events such as Bike to Work Day.
- Educate your employees: work with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) to host an Everyday Biking Seminar to introduce the basics of how to safely and easily fit biking into your employee’s daily life.
- Get recognized: earn a designation from the League of American Bicyclists and/or nominate your organization for goDCgo’s Bike-Friendly Workplace award.
- Learn from your peers: meet with your peers and share stories of your successes and challenges.
Invite your employees to participate by promoting Bike to Work Day throughout the workplace. Download the Bike to Work Day Poster, email it to your employees and print it out and post it in your lunch and break rooms.