October 5, 2021
2021 Commuter Challenge Results!
by Samantha Huff
Thank you and congratulations to all the DC employers and commuters who participated in the goDCgo Commuter Challenge! Participating organizations included GoRove Slade, Brookfield Properties, American College of Cardiology, Ballard Spahr LLP, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), So Others Might Eat (SOME), and Washington Gas. This year, commuters that were unaffiliated with a participating employer were also allowed to sign up. We hope everyone enjoyed the competition and was inspired to turn this challenge into a lifestyle.
Thanks to your efforts, we’ve collectively logged over 2,800 clean trips, burned 200,000 calories, saved 17,800 lbs of carbon emissions (CO2), and reduced 24,424 vehicle miles during the month of September. This just goes to show that making the choice to walk, bike, telework, ride a scooter or take public transit even one day a week can help make DC a greener city. YOU have the power to make a difference!
Now it’s time for the moment we’ve all been waiting for…
The 2021 Commuter Challenge winner is:
- Top Performing Employer – Gorove Slade
- 2nd Place – Brookfield Properties
- 3rd Place – Ballard Spahr LLP
In addition to team standings, we held weekly social media challenges for individual participants for the chance to win even more awesome prizes including:
- Home Office Challenge – for a chance to win an ergonomic desk chair.
- Back to Transit Challenge – for a chance to win Beats Studio Earbuds and a Uber Eats gift card.
- Groove & Go Challenge – for a chance to win Beats Studio Earbuds and a year of Spotify Premium.
Check out some of the social media challenge submissions below.
Other honorable mentions:
- Green Machine Badge – 54 participants earned this badge for logging 30 sustainable travel trips/telework sessions and were entered into a raffle. The lucky winners were Katie Wagner from Gorove Slade and Joseph Jakuta, who both received $100 to redeem for a gift card of their choice.
- Car Free Day Badge - We encouraged challengers to log their trips on Car Free Day (September 22) and 18 participants earned the car free day badge. The lucky winners were Anthony Soriano from DDOT and David Rosenberg. They both received $100 to redeem for a gift card of their choice.
- Bike DC Badge – 27 participants earned this badge and received a FREE Capital Bikeshare Annual Membership by logging 15 sustainable trips halfway through the challenge.
- Sustainable Traveler Badge – 13 participants earned this badge by replacing their drive alone commute with biking, walking, scooting, carpooling, teleworking, or taking public transit at least 15 times. The winner of this badge’s raffle was Jeraldin Ramos from the American College of Cardiology, who received $400 to redeem for a gift card of their choice.
- Telework Star Badge – 44 participants earned this badge for logging 15 telework sessions and were entered into a raffle. The lucky winners were Mike Bevel from Ballard Spahr LLP and Erik Johnson, who both received $100 to redeem for a gift card of their choice.
- Legacy Badge – 36 participants earned this badge and $10 to redeem for a gift card of their choice for participating in multiple years of the goDCgo Commuter Challenge.
Thank you again to all our winners and participants. We can’t wait until next year!